how many turns is a spin

When I do spins to stall exit. How many times should I let it go around?

Latest Comments

acromarmot's picture

Just my opinion: holding risers isn't a good idea. But you can use the side of harness and risers to guide your hands a bit. After stalling the wing, when you take up your hands to flyback point just let 'em slide up while touching the outer side of the harness and later risers. Like Fredrick pointed out, eventually you will not reailze any longer but until then it can help to have a bit of a reference. But do not grab the risers because you'll repeat that later and it's hard to train it away again (happened to me and so when I started with helico I also grabbed the risers and this really isn' t good...)

For the exit: when you're in stable flyback you can actually make the wing go in front of you whenever you want...just release both brakes symmetrical about 2-3cm...by this the wing will definitely go in slightly in front of you and allows for a nice exit. So you can go like ...flyback....2cm up...wait 2 sec...let it fly. But really important: let it definitely fly (and only stop it if there' s a surge). In your vid I thought the main problem is that you stopped and partly stalled the wing over and over which costs altitude and can lead to really bad/unwanted stalls...

Cheers!

Fredrick's picture

I wouldn't hold onto my risers with my hand in any way. When you are in stable backfly, the brakepressure isn't hard at all and it shouldn't be any problem holding them dead even. Full stall your wing and gradually release breakes both sides until you reach a stable backfly. The signs you are looking for in stable backfly is the outer most wingtips folded in to the front, your position in the harness and in the air is stable. When you are in a stable backfly, notice where your hands are in reference to the carabiners for example. Eventually you won't even look, you'll just do it. Like riding a bike.

When in stable backfly, your wing will move back and forth a bit. But not much. When the wing is in the front, release both brakes symmetrical with a slow-quick movement. Brake the surge if there is any.

dalechamberlain's picture

thanks i agree, my hands were deep, i need to work on the fly back position some more, normally ok at it

KrisH's picture

Your hands look very busy, and relatively deep for back fly. It looks like you keep alternating between full stall and letting it try to start flying again. Once you full stall out of the spin you should be able to put your hands near back fly position, keep your weight centered and it stabilizes itself if you wait for a few moments. Not an expert by any means, but this technique works for me.

dalechamberlain's picture

i added a video of a spin today, could you give me some pointers, they are not normally this messy, i can normally stabilse backfly pretty easy, should i hold the risers while in backfly so the brakes are dead even? it kept swinging side to side, after awhile i just let them up when the wing was un-even but it worked ok

Fredrick's picture

Hi.
Play around with it. Do spinstop and then let it actually spin a few turns. The main goal is to recognize it and recover as soon as possible back to normal flight. When I first started flying and learning to recover from spin, I started with spinstop, and then more and more turns before recovering. Watch your wing and feel the brakepressure and make note of what is happening so you can recognize it right before it happens next time.

But do let it spin at least 360 degrees and be comfortable with the rotation.
I remember the rotation was something scary the first times for me. Not anymore though, I love to spin, but controlled - Helicopter :)

Maybe someone else has more tips to add.

Have fun and train over water with this kind of maneuvers

Take air!